Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman indicated on his weekly spot on NHL Network that the Carolina Hurricanes are working on a deal to acquire Norris Trophy-winning defenseman Erik Karlsson from the San Jose Sharks and that if they trade for him, they will have a number of contingencies to make the deal possible, including trading winger Teuvo Teravainen and/or defenseman Brett Pesce.
Both longtime Hurricanes are entering the final year of their contracts, and reportedly Carolina has been rebuffed in their attempts of getting Pesce signed to a long-term deal. Friedman said that GM Don Waddell has spoken to other teams about both players. Pesce has been connected in trade rumors to the Nashville Predators, the Toronto Maple Leafs, and the Buffalo Sabres.
Sabres In Case You Missed It
- Friedman: Dahlin And Power Extensions Top Priority
- Sabres Prospects Showing Off At Scrimmage
- Sabres Hope To Promote From Within To Replace Quinn
- Will The Sabres Have To Wait To Deal Olofsson?
- Are The Sabres Still Shopping In The Free Agent Market?
- Amerks Add Assistants Paetsch, Prospal To Replace Peca, Weber
- Miller Bridge Deal May Provide Roadmap For Power
- Sabres Lock Up Jacksonville As ECHL Affiliate
- Sabres Sign Wahlberg To ELC, Murray Re-signed
- How Much Rope Will The Sabres Goaltending Get?
- Sabres Sign Weissbach, Jacksonville Is ECHL Affiliate
For those in Buffalo, watching CBC Hockey Night In Canada has been the lifeblood of most hockey fans (even though for some reason the local cable does not broadcast games in high-def). Unsubstantiated rumors emerged last week that Sportsnet would be making dramatic changes to their broadcast crew, including longtime host Ron Maclean and former Vancouver Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa.
— Kevin Bieksa (@kbieksa3) July 18, 2023
Earlier this week, former Sportsnet host and longtime HNIC producer John Shannon reported that Maclean would be back for another season, and on Tuesday Bieksa went to social media to report that he will be returning.
Hockey Now Network
Boston: Lucic “Might Tear Up” At Bruins Season Opener (Boston Bruins)
Chicago: Kane Won’t Be Signing Anywhere For Awhile (Chicago Blackhawks)
Florida: Who Stood Out At Florida Development Camp (Florida Panthers)
Los Angeles: Kings Standouts At Development Camp (Los Angeles Kings)
Nashville: O’Reilly Not Interested In Rebuild (Nashville Predators)
New Jersey: Devils Sign Tierney To One-Year Deal (New Jersey Devils)
Pittsburgh: Sources Refute Jarry Hip Injury Rumors (Pittsburgh Penguins)
San Jose: Karlsson And Labanc Trade Rumors (San Jose Sharks)
Vegas: Three Things That Could Go Wrong For Vegas Next Season (Vegas Golden Knights)